Thursday, August 18, 2011

Charlie Major Nature Trail - Revisited 8/18/11


After completing some business in Skaneateles decided to revisit the Charlie Major Nature Trail. It has been almost three years since my last formal visit.

At 3 PM pulled the car into the parking area on Crow Hill Road near the corner of Railroad Street and Skaneateles Creek, and parked under the wooden "Charlie Major Nature Trail" sign pictured above.

This trail will provide you with  a 45-minute hike. The trail runs from Old Crow Road right behind O'Neil Lane in Mottville to the east side of Mill Road just north of Old Seneca Turnpike.

The Charlie Major Nature Trail is featured in Rich & Sue Freeman's guide book, Take Your Bike! Family Rides in the Finger Lakes Region.

This land was donated to Town of Skaneateles by Jack and Irene Bryant who were both murdered while hiking in North Carolina. Jack was Skaneateles town attorney for 26 years. 
Bryant's Plaque
Before heading southeast on the trail my attention was drawn towards Skaneateles Creek. There emerging from the water were a mother and her daughter.
Skaneateles Creek
As I started down the trail a chickadee greeted me. At the first bridge I encountered a young woman who was using the bridge rails to do stretching exercises. Just south of the bridge I observed 2 blue jays. A mother and her son passed me as they biked north.
1st Bridge


On the other side of the second bridge in the pathway was a robin. A little further on there were 2 cardinals amongst what appeared to be black berry bushes.
2nd Bridge
Several trails seem to lead off to people's back yards. One side trail took me to the spill way at the Lakeside Paper Mill.
The Spill Way
Before coming to the third bridge I saw a man and his German Shepherd walk on it. They saw me and turned and went back to the southern trail entrance. The entrance is only a few feet from this bridge.
3rd Bridge
I turned around and headed back to the car. I met a man and Jake, his Dalmatian. We had a short conversation in which he told me that Spring was a better time for bird watching on the trail.

As I was finishing my walk I passed another fellow who was using a walking stick.

Before getting into the car I use the steps to get down near the creek and photographed the Mottville Bridge.
Mottville Bridge Plaque
Stairway
Mottville Bridge

The Charlie Major Trail once again provided a quick but interesting afternoon walking experience.









No comments:

Post a Comment