Friday, June 3, 2011

Looking for the Prothonotary Warbler

Making my way to Seneca Falls stopped at The Cayuga-Seneca Canal to look in on the eagles.

Perching on a bare limb overlooking the canal an adult eagle was seen guarding the nest. In the nest were two eaglets having a good time.

After completing my errand in Seneca Falls passed the three Women and noticed construction going on at Trinity Episcopal Church.


Drove across the bridge for a better look at the sandblasting.

Leaving the village drove to Rt. 89 and headed for Tschache Pool. There 26 Canada Geese were grazing in front of the tower. A Great Blue Heron was flying west and a Dunlin appeared quickly before disappearing behind a log.

Put into May's Point Observation Deck to enjoy my donut and tea. Was entertained by an eagle that was fishing in the pool. After two unsuccessful attempts the eagle caught what looked like a pan fish in its talons. To the right of the deck a sparrow flew in and perched on a branch.

Around 9:30 AM arrived at the parking lot near the green steel Erie Canal bridge on Armitage Road.
 
There Jane Graves approached me and inquired if I was seeking the Prothonotary Warbler. I answered yes. Jane then walked me west down the road. Passing three on the left side of the road we came to what appeared to be a stump to the left of two signs.


Jane brought to my attention the Prothonotary Warbler's song as it was singing near us on the right hand side of the road. Jane then told me to remain where I was and eventually the bird would cross the  road. Sure enough it did and I get a great look at the bird up close.

Heading home I parked in the North Spring Pool lot. In the southeast corner nest there were two ospreys. They left. One chasing an eagle and the other perching near the Thruway. In abandoned nest there appeared to be a young osprey.

Continuing towards home pulled into South Spring Pool. Lot of crap activity near the observation deck.

Also a good day for dragonflies.
Female Common Whitetail
(Libellula lydia)

Female Common Whitetail
(Libellula lydia)

All in all a fun day. May Have taken in a tad too much sun on my walk on the Esker Brook Trail, but should look rosy for the last Wild, Wild West Party at Springside Inn this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment