Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Birding - Montezuma

Wiley Road (South)

Last evening on the eleven o'clock news Dave Longley predicted a great day for today. So after rising early and getting the papers for Joan took off for Savannah. The leaves were still hanging in there as was evident on both sides of Wiley Road.
Wiley Road (North)

Pulling in Martens Tract I drove up on two pheasants.

There were two vehicles in the parking area. As I was getting out of the car a young man get of his and approached me. He stated that his girl friend and he had found a black declawed cat here this morning and wondered if I would like a cat. Thank him for his offer but opted out. Once on the observation knoll my binoculars noted the hunter on the far side of the pond. He must be the owner of the truck in the lot. The area was quiet with the exception of three fleeting sparrows. As I was leaving a gentleman with a canoe drove in. Assume he was scouting the area for the opening of hunting season.
Martens Tract

As I going back down the driveway noted a Woodpecker on a tree.

Several birds were in the tall grass so I stepped in. The thistle that was in bloom just a short while ago has turned to seed. Their stems looked nasty. The birds proved to fast for me.

Cancross Road and Morgan Road were a bust with the exception of a Turkey Vulture on Cancross. Plus I finally photographed the yellow wagon wheel on the Savannah-Spring Lake Road.

May's Point Observation Deck had its usual gathering. Two bird counters in their white truck passed by saying Hello. Walking back to car came noted a flurry of activity on the railings: a Wooly Bear Caterpillar and 7 Red-tailed Dragonfly plus a censored couple.


Stopped at Tschache Pool. Thoughtful of the Refuge to provide a facility. There on the Brochure Return Box was another Red-tailed Dragonfly.

The South Spring Pool area was quiet. But always a nice place to sit for awhile.

Made one last bird stop. Went to the Visitor's Deck at the Refuge. Busy venue with several cars and birders. Among the hundreds of Canada Geese a white bird stood out. Thought it might be a Snow Goose. Chuck Gibson confirmed my guess.

Met a gentleman and his dog, Gus, in the parking lot. He said, "What a great day. But we might not have too many more of them." Could not agree more. Glad I was birding today.

No comments:

Post a Comment