Thursday, December 1, 2011

Birding - Fair Haven 12/1/11

Sterling Pond
Fair Haven State Park

Since the Montezuma Audubon Center (MAC) had no scheduled birding tour for this week, decided to drive up to Fair Haven. Drove past the entrance booth and approached Sterling Pond. Pulling over by the boat rental shack observed 16 Buffleheads and 78 American Coots.
American Coot

Drove around the pond and into the Pond Shore Cabin Area. From there I was able to get good view of the 11 Mute Swans and 43 Canada Geese.
Leaving the pond area came upon 2 Mallards.

Made my way into the village. There were 30+ Canada Geese floating near Little Sodus Bay village dock. When I turned off Main Street/Rt. 104A onto West Bay Road I immediately saw 16 Mute Swans in the bay in front of the first camp.  Unless these fellows fly faster than I drove I do not believe these were the same ones who were at the park.

Drove on to West Barrier Bar. A young woman was walking the Fair Haven Channel Federal Pier.

In the inlet there were 7 ducks floating around. Did not recognize them. Sent an email photo to photographer-naturalist Dave Spier. Dave identified these ducks for me. They are Long-tailed Ducks. This is a life bird for me.
Long-tailed Duck

Heading home took a quick photo at the Lake Effect Vineyard at West Bay Estate.

As I crossed Rt. 104 intersection in North Victory there on telephone line on the west side of Rt. 38 was perched an American Kestrel. He only gave a quick window of opportunity to take his picture.

The weather surely will soon become unpleasant. Glad I took advantage of this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment