Monday, January 30, 2012

Birding - Cayuga College Trail

Second Pond

The 4 /2 inches of snow that fell last evening covered the trail. Foot traffic had made a path that was passable. While standing on the edge of the first pond a cross-country skier went by me. Further on I photographed her as she came out of the woods beyond the third pond.
Cross-country Skier

At this point I have seen no birds but several deer tracks. As I was approaching the Jan Graham feeding area there was John Scollan coming toward me on the trail. The clearing seeded by Jan was birdless.

Took the high trail and seven American Crows flew overhead. Rounding the top came upon the Wolf Tree.

Crossing the footbridge and coming into the clearing photographed the pine cones on the solitary fir tree.

Reaching the double bridges standing on the southern-most one noticed movement in the shrub. There I counted seven Robins. The cross-country skier too paused on the bridge noting "they're all puffy".
 American Robin

Walking to the car I chatted with a fellow who was walking his two dogs - a Husky-Lab mix and a large poodle. This gentleman said that he initially studied ornithology at Morrisville before completing his education as an engineer.

Although the birds were scarce it was good to see that some robins were still in residence.

No comments:

Post a Comment