Thursday, August 25, 2011

Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?


"Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?" is a popular choice of regional theaters. This evening Joan and I attended the highly entertaining Merry-Go-Round Playhouse production.

Reading the play booklet we saw that the late Thommie Walsh choreographed the original Chicago production, which ran for 4½-years.

Although I started my schooling in the public school system by attending kindergarten at Lincoln Elementary School. My next 16 school years were spent in Catholic schools. Not until I went to graduate school did I reenter a public school. Thus, this show provided a poignant trip down memory lane for me as I recalled the halls of St. Alphonsus and Mt. Carmel in the 1950s and early 60s. As I reflect back you have to wonder why we accepted every taboo or warning the nuns and priests presented to us.

The play's dance numbers while few are well choreographed, and Ed Sayles' direction makes one suspect that Ed had been there and done that. The play's variety kept one's attention and you did not have to live through the era to make a connection with the characters.

While devoid of memorable tunes the show dominated our conversation as Joan and I drove off to get our Parker's take-out.

Previous production this summer:
Anything Goes
Hairspray!  
 
Cooking with the Calamari Sisters: Mangia Italiano!
42nd Street

No comments:

Post a Comment