Monday, May 13, 2013

Ruff (Philomachus pugnax)

Adult Male in Stunning Breeding Plumage

After lunch read an email from birder Bill Purcell stating the Ruff had relocated at Coot Pond on Howland Island. Purcell stated that he had seen the Ruff at noon today.

Googled Coot Pond. Told Joan that I was off to see the Ruff.

Heavy construction at the corner of York and State streets. Passed through Troop where it was snowing. Bridge construction just before Howland Island Road on Rt. 38 north of Port Byron.
After parking the car made my way to the iron bridge. Crossed the bridge (which always seems to give me vertigo).
On the bridge met Bill Purcell and his companion. Thanked Bill for his email. Bill said the Ruff was still here on the south side of the pond.
At the first intersection took a left.
Coot Pond was just ahead on the right.
 
First scan turned up nothing. But with a second pass I saw the Ruff. It was out there, way out there. Decided to try to approach from a different angle. Continued to walk south along the road. Then went west along the edge of a plowed field. When I thought that I was parallel with the Ruff bushwhacked through the woods. Came out on the edge of the pond. There right in front of me were the Ruff and two Yellowlegs. A barn swallow came to light on a reed. Several Tree Swallows were flying around. Had some terrific looks at the Ruff. But unfortunately forgot the camera was not on stabilization mode, so photos turned out fuzzy.
Walked back to the east bank of the pond. Not only had I moved but the Ruff did too. Now the Ruff plus the Yellowlegs were only about a hundred feet in front of me. Great photos.
Preparing to leave I saw a couple coming down the road from the intersection. The man and the woman stopped at the northeast edge of the pond. I approached them to reassure they were on the Ruff. They had a scope and were most gracious to let me use it.

Making my way back to the car met Dave Wheeler and his friend Rose in the middle of the bridge. Dave was all excited to know the Ruff was here. Rose took a moment to photographed the water below.


Another great day for birding.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! cool find. I assume you were bundled up. The wind was cold here. Never made it out of the 40's either.

    ReplyDelete