Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Birding - Montezuma 9/28/11

McDonald Road
This morning amid threatening skies and fog shrouded roads I made my way to Montezuma. McDonald Road was starting to show Fall color.
Martens Tract
My first stop was Martens Tract. Quiet with only a few ducks in the duckweed and the resident Great Blue Heron way back on the far edge. Then I heard a new sound for me coming from the tall grass. Then two Sandhill Cranes took flight overhead. Rather then focus the camera I followed them with binoculars as they circled overhead continuing to make noise. A dramatic presentation. As I got back into the car 72 Canada Geese flew over heading southeast.

At the end of Cancross Road as I drove up a Great Blue Heron took off.
Great Blue Heron

Before getting to the DEC office on Morgan Road stopped at the pond on the right. There counted 17 Wood Ducks and one Great Blue Heron. While in the DEC parking lot noted the 50+ Canada Geese flying overhead as well as 2 Mourning Doves. Driving back to the main road a Northern Harrier flew across the farm fields.
Wood Ducks

Pulling into Muckrace Flats found only a lone Mallard and 3 American Crows.

Went down Railroad Road. The Trumpeter Swans were still in residence. Far out a Song Sparrow flew into a barren tree.
Trumpeter Swans

 Song Sparrow

True to its namesake the road entertained two trains today. One heading west and one going east.
West Bound
East Bound

Usually I try to remove litter from the refuge. But in this case it was too high up there to dislodge.

Making my way to the end of Van Dyne Spoor Road came upon 3 Pied-billed Grebes, 3 Great Blue Herons, 17 American Coots, and 7 Ring-billed Gulls.
American Coots
Ring-billed Gull
The rain was picking up so I headed for Mays Point. There the skies dried up momentarily. This proved to be a good fortune since I was able to photograph a juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron and a juvenile Bald Eagle.
 Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron
Juvenile Bald Eagle

Since the rest of the day was taking on the character of a wash, made the decision to call it quits. All in all still a great day for birding.
May's Point Observation Deck








No comments:

Post a Comment