Sunday, September 18, 2011

Seneca Meadows Wetland Preserve

Seneca Meadows, Inc. is a waste management and recycling facility dedicated to the preservation and advancement of the environment. Seneca Meadows Wetland Preserve is the company's most recent initiative. The Preserve features over seven miles of trails through diverse native plant communities.
On a recent birding trip Dave Spier had mentioned this spot. Plus I found that there are two geocaches hidden on the grounds, Praire Overlook Cache (GC32PGE) and Oak Tree Pass Cache (GC32PFK). So I decided to visit the area.

Upon arriving I found the parking full. As I made my way to Praire Overlook I came across several women who were gathering wildflower seeds. This explains the lot overflow. The walk to the cache was pleasant. The trails of crushed stone are smooth and flat which made for easy walking.
View from the cache.

As I made my way to the second cache I stopped to observe the flowers and grass.
Reaching the Oak Tree Pass Cache the clue enabled me to find the cache quickly.
View near the cache.

I continued west on Oak Tree Pass until I came upon the rain shelter. Headed north along the Main Loop. Noted that beavers had been busy recently. Coming to some water notice two wood ducks under a fallen limb. An ATV was coming towards me. The rider stopped and introduced himself. His name was Andy and he informed me that he built this preserve.
Rain Shelter
Near where I saw the ducks

When I came upon the trail to the Northern Overlook I ventured up it. This platform provided a panoramic view of the preserve.

When I got back to the parking area I was the only one there until a photographer drove up in his Mercedes. Decided to spot at May's Point Observation Deck before returning home.

Footnote: Returned here with Joan on Sunday, September 25, 2011. She was impressed. We both plan to visit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment