Monday, May 5, 2014

Birding - Around Auburn

AHS Trail
Along the Owasco Outlet

Woke to a crisp, bright day.

After putting out the bags of ornamental grass, getting the morning papers, and delivering some paper work for the Cameron Company, drove up and into St. Joesph's Cemetery. Park in the usual spot. Immediately overhead flew the resident Red-tailed Hawk.

Hearing the familiar shrill, rolling kwirr or churr, quickly located the Red-bellied Woodpecker. Appears it has claimed a tree cavity. While viewing the bird the groundskeeper, Jim Talbot, approached me to inform me that he would be cutting the grass nearby and would not disturb me. Thank him for his kindness and offered my binoculars for a better view.
After giving Jim and I many good looks, the Red-bellied Woodpecker flew off.
Quickly taking its place was a pair of Chipping Sparrows and a Blue Jay.
As I was preparing to leave a Ruby-crowned Kinglet flitted onto a bare branch.
Drove across the street to the AHS parking lot. Parked next to the running track. Made my way over to the outlet trail. My first bird was a Chick-a-dee. Then five Mallards flew overhead. To the south of the trail in the water were two Wood Ducks. They were too well concealed to photograph.

Along the trail came upon three Yellow-Rump Warblers and an American Goldfinch.
After purchasing our seasonal parking permit at the toll booth at Emerson Park went home. After a light lunch and a visit to the Post Office and to Seymour Library, Joan and I went walking at Hoopes Park. There we saw two Eastern Bluebirds in a tree near the Genesee Street sidewalk.
 Another great day for birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment